Michelle Obama: My Free Time I Love Knitting

Michelle Obama: My Free Time I Love Knitting


Whenever I tell people how much I love knitting, they look so surprised! But it truly has become one of my most meaningful (and enjoyable) pastimes. 

For me, knitting is a release. It lets my hands lead while my mind follows behind. And it turns out that knitting is buried in my DNA—I'm a descendant of many tailors. My mother shared with me that every woman on her side of her family learned how to needle and thread, sew, crochet, and knit. 

During the height of the pandemic, when everything was feeling so bleak, the act of sewing, drilling, turning on and off was how I kept my anxiety in check. Putting it into practice rooted me in an idea I talk about in my book, The Light We Carry called "little power."The idea that narrowing your focus to small seemingly insignificant tasks can remind us of our own agency. It shows us our own ability to build, create and succeed. I truly believe that when you know you are capable of small tasks, larger tasks become easier. In this case, every little stitch builds into a bigger goal. 

What have you chosen as a hobby or practice that has served you well over the past few years? 

I'd love to hear from you in the comments. And if you have some photos, tag me in your post using #TheLightWeCarry. 🧶

Post a Comment